Maring-Hunt Library
Thursday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Kennedy Library
Thursday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Connection Corner
Thursday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Carnegie Library
Thursday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Press enter or spacebar to select a desired language.

Tax Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Skip to a question by clicking below:

  1. Does the library have tax forms? Where else can I get forms?
  2. Is the AARP Tax Aide service available?
  3. How do I file online?
  4. Can I use a library computer to file my taxes online?
  5. How do I know if I need to file a tax return?
  6. Where can I find more general tax information?
  7. Where can I turn if I have a tax dispute?

1. Does the library have tax forms? Where else can I get forms?

The library has limited quantities of Federal tax forms, but we will not receive any State tax forms this year. Please read on for more details.

  • Federal Forms: Paper copies of some IRS forms and instructions typically become available at the library from February through April while supplies last. Some tax scenarios require additional forms. The public is encouraged to file online or download and print forms from the IRS website. Alternatively, the public may order IRS forms online or by calling 800-829-3676.

  • State Forms: Due to an Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) policy change, libraries no longer receive bulk state tax forms and instructions to distribute. Instead, taxpayers are encouraged to file online or to download and print forms from from the DOR website. Taxpayers may also call the DOR’s 24-hour automated phone line at 317-615-2581 to request forms and instructions in the mail. To check the availability of forms at the local DOR office, taxpayers may call 765-289-6196.

You may print tax forms at the usual print cost of $0.15 per page via the library’s compters or Wireless Printing service. You may also call the Information Desk at Kennedy or Maring-Hunt to make a print request and schedule a curbside pickup appointment.

Back to Top

2. Is the AARP Tax Aide service available?

Yes, AARP Tax Aide is available by appointment this year. Please call 765-283-9680 and leave your name and phone number. An AARP volunteer will call you back to set up an appointment.

Back to Top

3. How do I file online? 

  • There are many options to file online. Millions of Hoosiers qualify to file both their federal and state taxes online for free from trusted vendors with the Indiana free file program (INfreefile). A list of DOR-certified vendors is at INfreefile customers typically receive their refund in less than two weeks if filing electronically and opting for direct deposit.
  • Regardless of your household income, you may also file online yourself at a service provided by United Way.
  • A wide range of other low-cost online tax preparation software is listed on the Indiana Department of Revenue’s list of Certified Software Developers (scroll to “Electronic Filing Vendors" then view the list under “Individual Consumer.”)

Back to Top

4. Can I use a library computer to file my taxes online?

Yes, library computers are available. 

Staff may help you access the computers and informative resources, but cannot give tax advice such as how to file or what credits or rebates you may be eligible for.

The IN Department of Revenue has several options for free and low-cost filing on their INfreefile website. Whether you are electronically filing from home or at the library, you can check that your tax preparation website has been certified and tested by the DOR.

Back to Top

5. How do I know if I need to file a tax return?

Library staff cannot interpret your personal filing situation, however the following websites have information that may help you determine whether you need to file:

  • The Interactive Tax Assistant is a web tool that will ask several questions to help you understand your filing status, income, and tax withholdings.
  • The Guide to Filing Your Taxes by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau contains some brief reading about filing requirements and special situations to consider.

Back to Top

6. Where can I find more general tax information?

Back to Top

7. Where can I turn if I have a tax dispute?

If you are having tax problems because of financial difficulties or immediate threat of adverse action and you have not been able to resolve the problem with the IRS or Department of Revenue, the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS), Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO), or a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) may be able to help you. Contact information and websites are listed below.

Back to Top

Note: This page was reviewed and updated January 18, 2024.

Tax Agency Contact Information

There are many ways to contact the tax agencies online, by phone, or in-person.


You can get help with most Federal tax issues online or by phone. The IRS Let Us Help You webpage provides helpful links to many online tools and resources.

IRS Telephone Assistance 

  • 1-800-829-1040, available from 7am to 7pm local time

(Note: According to the IRS website, telephone service wait time can average 13 minutes during Filing Season (January-April.) Some service lines have longer wait times. Wait times are higher on Monday and Tuesday.)

  • Order IRS Tax Forms and Publications online or by phone: 800-829-3676

The local IRS office, the Muncie Taxpayer Assistance Center, is located at 225 N. High St., Muncie, IN 47305, but is closed April 5, 2021 to September 30, 2022.

  • 765-216-0570 (Office Information)
  • 844-545-5640 (Schedule Appointment at the Indianapolis Taxpayer Assistance Center located at 575 N. Pennsylvania, St., Indianapolis, IN)

Find other contact information and read about services offered at the IRS website.

Indiana Department of Revenue

DOR Customer Service

  • 317-232-2240

(Note: For faster service, try online services or email Do not include any personal information if contacting the DOR by email.)

  • Order DOR Tax forms and Publications by phone at 317-615-2581 (Note: Leave order on voice mail, available 24 hours.)

The local DOR office, the Muncie District Office, is located at 3640 N. Briarwood Lane, Ste. 5, Muncie, IN 47304

  • 765-289-6196

Find other contact information and read about services offered at the IN Department of Revenue website.